No Politics?

General BS, no politics
Master of My Domain

No Politics?

Post by Master of My Domain »

I find it curious that during this time, where it seems like EVERYTHING is political, there has been little to no discussion here on the fest. The Cloak Room is dark and dusty. Dude and I got into it a little bit, but he hasn't been around much since.

So why no political discussion here, with an election months away? My guess is either:

A. Not wanting to offend anybody/pick a fight,
B. Fatigue/disgust, OR
C. Disinterest in all of it

I have no idea how the election will turn out, although my guess is that it will be very close, and with all of the mail-in voting we won't actually know who won for a while. When the results come in, whoever lost will claim that the election was stolen away (and they might be right).

If Trump wins, the left will riot and loot and destroy...kind of like now.
If Biden wins, the left will stack the Supreme Court and grant citizenship to illegals so that they stay in control for the foreseeable future.

Geez, 2020 is terrible.
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

T-Bubs

Re: No Politics?

Post by T-Bubs »

D. All of the above.

I don't like Trump. I don't like Biden. I can't win just like in 2016. I'll "waste" my vote on a Libertarian candidate and be disappointed that a 3rd party can't capitalize (again). It's not as bad as in 2016 when you had the two most disliked candidates ever in the same election but it's still disappointing. Where's Ross Perot or even Jesse "The Body" Ventura when you need them?
Master of My Domain wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:43 pm
If Trump wins, the left will riot and loot and destroy...kind of like now.
If Biden wins, the left will stack the Supreme Court and grant citizenship to illegals so that they stay in control for the foreseeable future.
If people riot, I would bet my house that most of the rioters didn't vote. They can only blame themselves.

No one's coming to get you and take your way of life, Master. The government doesn't care that much.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

B.

Just sick of it all. I know who I'm voting for even though the choices are awful. I barely pay attention to social media anymore because I have to scroll through all the political bullshit from both sides. It's like they all think they got one over on the opposition every time they click "post". I can picture some of them sitting at their desk or holding their device and giggling to themselves. And a lot of them are great friends and family.

Master of My Domain

Vincent Vega wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:34 pm
B.

Just sick of it all. I know who I'm voting for even though the choices are awful. I barely pay attention to social media anymore because I have to scroll through all the political bullshit from both sides. It's like they all think they got one over on the opposition every time they click "post". I can picture some of them sitting at their desk or holding their device and giggling to themselves. And a lot of them are great friends and family.
Amen on this...I have facebook friends, on both sides of the argument, who seems to feel it is their duty to post as much anti-Trump or pro-Trump stuff as they can possibly find. I finally got to the point that I "snooze" a lot of them or have even taken them out of my feed altogether. I don't post much politically, largely in part because I value having employment, but also I know that in the end you probably aren't going to change anybody's mind. People have dug themselves in to whatever stance they have, and barring undeniable facts, they aren't going to change their opinion. Sometimes even when there are undeniable facts.
No one's coming to get you and take your way of life, Master.
I would love to think this is correct, but I have sincere doubts. The country has devolved more in the past decade than I ever would have guessed imaginable.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Dittos on the political stuff on social media. It's terrible. You can't properly converse with someone on TweetFace when concerning politics. Now, I do believe all Americans need to discuss politics a LOT more. Some of my best friends are Democrats. We talk politics all the time and it's fun. I learn things. Hopefully, they do too.
Master of My Domain wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 pm
The country has devolved more in the past decade than I ever would have guessed imaginable.
1st world nations only progress. Whether it is too fast or too slow or too much or not enough is always the question. It's still not worse than in the 50's or 60's with segregation. Kids are smarter. Cars are safer and more efficient. We pollute less per capita. Energy is cheap and abundant. Crime rates have fallen over the last 25 years even though we have more laws (less freedom).

But our perception of crime has NOT gone down on the same trend. My guess is because "if it bleeds, it leads" is the American media's credo. We're exposed to it everywhere. Print, TV, radio, friends, neighbors apps, social media.

I will admit this. We are starting to go down a path of excessively voting ourselves gifts. We can pay for them but at what cost? Taxes either have to go way up OR you have to start cutting from the military (political 3rd rail).

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” ― Benjamin Franklin

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The last quote seems more relevant than ever.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

I have about 600 "friends on facebook". I've blocked 114 of them. It still shows that I'm friends with them, but I won't see a post of theirs until I "unblock" them. Its glorious. If you're pushing a political agenda on FB, left or right, you're getting blocked. Ain't nobody got time to read your barely researched usually half true (at best) bullshit.

God I hate this election. I truly hate both parties. Hate.

NumberTwo

Post by NumberTwo »

It’s not worth getting into a discussion online regarding the presidential election. There’s entertainment in watching people write and talk about it from your favorite news sites, but you’re not going to change anybody’s mind once you feel it’s your responsibility to get your message out to the masses, or more accurately, your handful of online friends. The responsible thing to do is participate. I’m going to vote just as I do in all elections. Hopefully, the results will allow me to continue participate in my family’s lives, smoke copious amounts of meats, drink massive amounts of alcohol, and have a little money left over spend on worthless junk.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

NumberTwo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:14 am
Hopefully, the results will allow me to continue participate in my family’s lives, smoke copious amounts of meats, drink massive amounts of alcohol, and have a little money left over spend on worthless junk.
Hear! Hear!

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

IF Trump has downplayed the virus from the very beginning, called soldiers losers, knew about Russian bounties on US soldiers and did nothing about it, race baited (Charlottesville - "good people"), paid hush money to hide extramarital affairs with campaign money, reduce USPS abilities/funds to help stop or diminish mail-in voting, and is using the presidency for his own personal gain...

Now two wrongs don't make a right. IF he was under investigation before he was even president to derail his chances and Washington insiders have used their power to make things up or trump up small things in hopes to get him impeached, that's not good either.

Someone convince me that he's just not a terrible human being. I watched a good bit of the RNC and all of his speech. He can be really good and he has done some good things as president. He doesn't deserve all the criticism that comes his way but he compounds the problem a lot of the time. Morally, he seems to be everything I stand against. Lies, bullying, intimidation, and only looking out for his own personal gain.

I guess I'm most angry about is that he has hijacked the Republican party and I don't see a path where it goes back to being fiscally conservative, balancing budgets, limiting government, personal freedoms, quality public education, and conserving the environment. By no means did he do all these things on his own but he helped the ship go even more off course.

hard of smelling

Post by hard of smelling »

The whole playing down the rona narrative really bothers me. It's not like Pelosi or Schumer were standing up and yelling to hide under the table. They were fighting The Donald on any and every decision he made just because that's all the Dems do anymore. Orange Man bad is their entire playbook.

All of these slimeballs need kicked out of govment.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

hard of smelling wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:56 pm
All of these slimeballs need kicked out of govment.

hard of smelling

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Excellent opinion piece. I'm sure she will be crucified by her compadres on the left for even murmuring such words though.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Is MOMD the ghostwriter of this article?

She makes good points.

Master of My Domain

T-Bubs wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm
Is MOMD the ghostwriter of this article?

She makes good points.
I have to admit, she makes good points.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

What a horrible night for America. Trainwreck. We are officially a shitshow.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

You mean it didn't look good when Biden called Trump a "clown" or when Trump talked over every word of Biden?

I think Biden has most of his faculties; however, Trump is much more quick-witted and always seems present in the moment. His present and view of things may be different from everyone else's but the guy is all there. Biden sometimes searches for his words and then doesn't always get them out as he wants to. Dude is old and it showed last night.

That's not a reason to vote or not vote for either one. Just an observation.

hard of smelling

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

So the President has the China virus. Is he trying to avoid debating Biden?

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

No, he's trying to avoid debating Chris Wallace.

Master of My Domain

This stuff that has come out about the Bidens stinks of blatant corruption, and it isn't opinion...this is looking directly at Hunter Biden's words from his own emails/texts.

We know that:

1. Hunter Biden travelled the world with "Pops," racking up a host of very lucrative business deals.

2. Hunter Biden has no skills or qualifications that would cause foreign businesses to work with him.

3. Joe Biden has denied any knowledge of Hunter's business operations, even though:

4. An email to Hunter from a Burisma executive thanks him for setting up the meeting with his father, AND

5. Joe Biden openly bragged about getting a prosecutor fired for investigating Burisma by leveraging foreign aid.

6. Additionally, emails from Hunter talk about "the big guy" getting 10% of a corporate ownership in one of these deals (I believe with a Chinese corporation).

7. Hunter tells a cousin in a text that he won't ask for half of the money like "Pops" does.

8. Allegedly, there is more to come, possibly (likely) including pretty lurid stuff with Hunter...you know the kind of a stuff a foreign power could use to blackmail somebody.

I realize the media is totally playing goalkeeper for the Bidens here and we will probably never get to the bottom of everything, but it sure seems like Biden has leveraged every bit of his power to enrich himself. This person should never again serve in government.

But, I'm sure it just a conspiracy...