Sark

Eventually the Rona will be on the run and we'll have sports again, right!?
GlassJoe

Re: Sark

Post by GlassJoe »

oh, and, using bubs class rankings, for the "more talent" and "if recruiting rankings are remotely accurate" argument - avg 4 year ranking of 7.75 for UT vs. 8.5 for tamu.

#justmath.

Master of My Domain

Post by Master of My Domain »

easier path to the CFP? No, I'm right on that.
Agree to disagree. Any time you have to win your conference...and then cross your fingers and hope? That isn't an easier path. The only way you can probably force your way in is to go undefeated. How is that an easier path? Yeah, we play better teams...that is the reason the SEC winner and maybe even the SEC runner-up are getting in. Plus, again, the Big 12 has been pitiful when they've had a shot in the playoffs.
oh, and, using bubs class rankings, for the "more talent" and "if recruiting rankings are remotely accurate" argument - avg 4 year ranking of 7.75 for UT vs. 8.5 for tamu.
You know you may technically be right there...I forgot that Texas had highly-rated classes (that included almost no linemen) in 2018 and 2019. BUT, how many of those kids are still there? I know Bru McCoy and Javonne Shephard never did a damn thing. I don't follow UT closely enough, but haven't a lot of those "elite" prospects either transferred or grossly underachieved?

Meanwhile, Jimbo's first recruiting class when he took the job and tried to keep Sumlin's group together in 2018 was not highly rated. That said, every full recruiting class he has signed has had a single-digit rating, and there is no reason to think that that won't continue and improve. I would be shocked if we don't sign a top five class in 2022, and honestly, I think we'll be top 3. AND Jimbo develops talent...I don't feel like looking this up, but I'm pretty sure Jace Sternberger, Ainias Smith, Jalen Wydermyer were all three stars. I'm pretty sure that all four of our senior offensive linemen (McCollum, Hocker, Moore, Green) were three stars...they were one of the best o-lines in football this year and all four are likely to get drafted. Jimbo is building a monster.
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Texas has poured a ton of money into upgrading facilities. The locker room and weight room were upgraded a couple years ago. The south end zone project will be completed in time for the 2021 season. Only cost $175M.

NumberTwo

Post by NumberTwo »

Bold prediction: The next 1 loss Texas team will be in the CFP. (Even if it’s against Alabama who somehow agreed to schedule us)

A&M has made huge strides in stepping up all aspects of their program from facilities, exposure, revenues, etc. It’s been an impressive effort and commitment to put the program’s mentions amongst the usual college football elites. You can’t argue with the Aggies’ willingness to compete, but just sitting back and watching the Aggie FB roller coaster, the issue will be sustainability. I’ll equate it to going all in with a big stack of chips at a table with all the old pros. It’s not that you don’t belong there or have less $, or that it was even a bad play. I just don’t feel the Jimbo experiment’s going to end with the pre-paid NC that you hired him for. Then what do you turn to?

Once this NIL comes into play, Texas is positioned to be the most valuable opportunity for a college football player. That will be a game changer for Texas if you’re looking for ways that Texas will be able to compete with the allure of beautiful College Station, the vaunted SEC Network, Ag and Eng degrees, and ol’ Jimbo’s secret 3* developmental playbook then we’ll just be able to say your brand is worth more at The University of Texas.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

#2 is making a strong push for "Best Fest Poster of 2021". Leader in the clubhouse.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

NumberTwo wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:17 pm
Then what do you turn to?
Try to hire Urban, Saban, Belichick, one of the Harbaughs, Bill Walsh, strike out on all, then hire a lushed up...err washed up OC while alienating ourselves from the rest of the conference members. Oh wait. That's y'all's plan.

Master of My Domain

T-Bubs wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 pm
NumberTwo wrote:
Then what do you turn to?
Try to hire Urban, Saban, Belichick, one of the Harbaughs, Bill Walsh, strike out on all, then hire a lushed up...err washed up OC while alienating ourselves from the rest of the conference members. Oh wait. That's y'all's plan.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

haha, but...."alienating"? cmon now. anyone can relate to Sark. Especially anyone on the fest.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

NumberTwo wrote:
Once this NIL comes into play, Texas is positioned to be the most valuable opportunity for a college football player. That will be a game changer for Texas if you’re looking for ways that Texas will be able to compete with the allure of beautiful College Station, the vaunted SEC Network, Ag and Eng degrees, and ol’ Jimbo’s secret 3* developmental playbook then we’ll just be able to say your brand is worth more at The University of Texas.
This.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

I just mean y'all run roughshod over everyone else in the Big 12. They hate it but go along with it because they know the conference lives and dies with y'all.

Master of My Domain

NIL? Enlighten me...I have no idea what you are talking about.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Just a tiny gamechanger in college football. Google it.

Master of My Domain

Ok...I was familiar with that. What I can't figure out is why you all believe these uniquely and specifically benefits UT.

NumberTwo

Post by NumberTwo »

Let’s try equating it to deciding between a job offer from Texas and one from A&M. The NIL is the salary and benefits package. The Texas offer is for more money. Of course, there’s the allure of other factors like A&M being the better program, getting coached up by Jimbo, and playing in the SEC that may win out. However, the Longhorn brand having more value may it least make it interesting.

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2020 ... st-in-nil/
Attachments
C6969FFA-1A65-4EE3-BFD8-DD28FB6DA520.jpeg
C6969FFA-1A65-4EE3-BFD8-DD28FB6DA520.jpeg (217.03 KiB) Viewed 186 times

Master of My Domain

Ok, I read the article...still don’t see why you think this is some golden ticket for UT.

Because y’all started some administrative program? Don’t you think everyone will do something similar?

Because you had the most revenue in 2019? Well, guess who was second? And it was close. And that doesn’t include the SEC’s new tv contract. Any financial advantage UT once had us fading.

Again, I just don’t see why this is the game changer specifically for UT and nobody else.

NumberTwo

Post by NumberTwo »

Master of My Domain wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:36 am
Ok, I read the article...still don’t see why you think this is some golden ticket for UT.

Because y’all started some administrative program? Don’t you think everyone will do something similar?

Because you had the most revenue in 2019? Well, guess who was second? And it was close. And that doesn’t include the SEC’s new tv contract. Any financial advantage UT once had us fading.

Again, I just don’t see why this is the game changer specifically for UT and nobody else.
All schools will include this in their sales pitch. A&M will have their NIL program and will be able to make it enticing. But if money talks, Texas having more global brand value will give them the opportunity to put themselves at the top of any list to show a recruit. Something along these lines... https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/ ... 34159991_1
If you agree that money talks, then Texas has that advantage. It’s speculation if this is a golden ticket because it would be a new era of recruiting. I’m just assuming, that all things being equal, when it comes down to a college choice that the best financial deal on paper will win out (even if it’s by a slim margin).

Master of My Domain

"Global brand value?" You guys recruiting defensive tackles out of Uganda? I don't think a linebacker from Aledo or Manvel is going to care much about that.

So, basically this theory comes out to the belief that Texas will have a marginally higher amount of money to spend than other schools?

That seems optimistic/hopeful/a little desperate.

NumberTwo

Post by NumberTwo »

Master of My Domain wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm
"Global brand value?" You guys recruiting defensive tackles out of Uganda? I don't think a linebacker from Aledo or Manvel is going to care much about that.

So, basically this theory comes out to the belief that Texas will have a marginally higher amount of money to spend than other schools?

That seems optimistic/hopeful/a little desperate.
On your theory above, not necessarily more money to spend, more money for the athlete to make. Compared to some schools the margins may be small, but a huge spread vs other schools, but still more nonetheless.

It seems pretty simple. The recruit will go where he can make more money.

McDonald’s (UT) job offer: $8/hr and within a year $9/hr and up to $11/hr within 4 years.
Burger King (A&M since they’re better and everything) job offer: $8.10/hr and within a year $8.75/hr and up to $10/hr within 4 years.
This is all on paper, where are you going to work?

You’re right though, A&M may still get the kid from Uganda if we happened to both be recruiting him from all the maroon SEC Champion shirts over there. Recognition is a factor. However globally, that Burnt Orange Longhorn logo is more recognizable which means the kid from Uganda is more likely to buy the jersey of the LB from Aledo. That Aledo LB that we’re recruiting may not care about global brand, but he does care about his worth. That global recognition factor is part of what allows him to see what is potential value is at each school.

Optimistic/hopeful/a little desperate...great summary of recruiting anywhere.

Master of My Domain

UT is a global brand? I'm sorry, but I scoff at that...and I don't mean that as insult to Texas, but ANY American university. I don't buy that people outside of the US care about any of this.

DrillinAg

Post by DrillinAg »

If by "global brand" you mean a bunch of West Africans wearing 2009 longhorn national championship gear then maybe.

I travel all over the world a LOT and I can't remember the last time I saw someone in longhorn gear. If and when i do see college gear it is usually ND and Bama for the most part. a lot more A&M than you would think and the surprise one for me is UGA.