Astros

Eventually the Rona will be on the run and we'll have sports again, right!?
Master of My Domain

Re: Astros

Post by Master of My Domain »

Can’t blame pitching for last night. You start with a man in scoring position..,get a goddamned base hit!

The fall of the Houston Astros was sudden. If JV is done (and I think he is), they’re fucked. Don’t have the pitching to win it, and Springer, Brantley, Yuli and Reddick are all free agents. I think Springer is gone. The farm system is thin, and you have no first or second round picks for two years.

Do you blow it up completely? Or just tread water for a few seasons and make another run with older versions of Altuve, Bregman, Yordan and maybe Correa?
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Blowing it up after this season seems premature unless they just look like a middle of the pack playoff team with no real contention. If you do blow it up, are you trading Bregman, LMJ, Tucker, Yordan, and everyone?

I'm afraid to say it but I think we have seen the best of Altuve. He's no spring chicken and that small frame can only take so much damage. He's going to be servicable for 2-3 more seasons but MVP caliber Jose is long gone.

Master of My Domain

Blowing it up after this season probably would be premature, but I don’t see them being a legit contender again for a while. I don’t think they are crazy to consider it.

I don’t think Altuve is done. He may have peaked, but he should still be All-Star caliber for three or four years.

Luhnow would not part with either Tucker or Whitley...Click may not be nearly as high on them. I think Click really needs to consider moving either or both for a legit pitcher if/when Verlander is done. All in for this year while you still have the band together...plus I think both are busts.

Velcro Serpent

Post by Velcro Serpent »

this season is trash. don't even know why we're playing. we're not gonna win shit trotting out 7 rookies who have never pitched above AA, i don't care how highly ranked prospects they are.

just saw some brewers/cardinals players tested positive so they're postponing their game today. shits about to get out of control.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

re: blowing it up. No, not YET. I'm with MOMD - I'd trade Whitley and Tucker in a heart beat if if meant legit pitching to help us now.

Altuve can still be a good to very good player the next 3-4 years, no doubt.

I'm also with Velcro - this season is going to shit. I really think there's a strong chance MLB either A - "Pauses" the season for a few weeks, or B - just says "oops, yeah, this really isn't working, we're done, see ya in March for Spring Training"

I'm ok with that, b/c the astros can't win anything with the arms we have.

hard of smelling

Post by hard of smelling »

With losing the draft picks this year and next, I think every player is on the table for trades including Whitley and Tucker. You have to be able to fill the talent gap somehow and if you can manage to get a nice haul for one or both, gotta do it.

I really hope we resign Brantley. Dude is an all around damn good baseball player and I think you might be able to get him at a reasonable rate. Springer is going to be expensive, but think you have to bite the bullet and do it. Fan favorite, great lead off guy and I think not signing him would do some damage in that clubhouse.

The Twins will win the WS if they play the whole season.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Olney was asked what he thought the odds were that a baseball season is finished in 2020 and a champion is crowned.

"Zero percent," Olney replied.
June 29th, 2020

This new outbreak doesn't bode will for the MLB or any other sport that is trying to do this outside a bubble (i.e. college and pro football).

Love Brantley and Springer. They seem like just good dudes. But if you resign them, you're going against blowing it up and starting over. This would be a move reminiscent of the early aughts and pushing all your chips in with a veteran squad. You can do it but it's gonna be expensive on the front and backend. If it keeps us in WS contention, I'm all for it.

Master of My Domain

After Betts signed, Springer is the number one free agent outfielder on the market. He is going to get paid. Astros need to try to resign him, but at some point the money is probably going to be more than he is actually worth, and I say this as a Springer fan.

I’m all for bringing back Brantley and Yuli, assuming the price is right, and I don’t think either will get crazy money.

If we continue to have Covid issues, this season very well may self destruct. They should have done the bubble like the NBA is doing, but apparently MLBPA rejected that idea.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Yep, players rejected the bubble. Was going to be in Arizona. Terrible decision.

Altuve was a beast the second half of last season. He's 30 years old. I think he has a few really good seasons left in him.

I'm fine trading Tucker. I'd hold off on Whitley, although I'm a bit shocked he hasn't been called up already.

Why isn't Alvarez with the team? He reported to CC Friday. All we need him to do is swing the bat. He's a DH. How much conditioning does he need? We all know he had covid. If he hadn't recovered/tested negative he wouldn't have reported. Get his ass on a plane to Houston.....errr LA.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Master of My Domain wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:25 pm
They should have done the bubble like the NBA is doing, but apparently MLBPA rejected that idea.
I really wanted to see a Grapefruit and Cactus league for the regular season. Basically, think AL and NL back in the day when they did NOT play each other. Play all the games they agreed to in FL and AZ. The teams that win their respective Leagues meet in a WS played in the teams home stadiums as usual.

If FL could do a bubble for the NBA and they are keeping people safe, the MLB could have done it. I just have no faith the MLB can do anything without tripping over their own dick. The MLBPA and MLB are both dysfunctional.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

And now we know why Whitley wasn't call up. Arm soreness. WTF is going on? Now Osuna is out with "elbow discomfort".

That said, the rookies are looking good overall.

James is awful.

Valdez has been awesome.

Has Altuve ever gone 0-6? He also left left 9 on base.

Bregman and Springer showing life.

Get your ass back Yordan.

Velcro Serpent

Post by Velcro Serpent »

supposedly we signed Fernando Rodney. that'll solve all our problems. surely.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

He has to be better than Devenski.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

LMJ is broken.

Glad the astros are scoring a decent bit though. Will need to if we want to win.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Reddick. 2 on. 2 outs. Strikes out looking.

*spidey

We weren't going to win the game at that point. BUT COMMON!!! Give your team a chance!

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

He looked really good until he didn't. One in the park HR and it was like it crushed his soul.

Still no Alvarez. This is bullshit.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

complete and total meltdown from Presley last night.

aggravating. You score 7 runs, you're supposed to win (Wednesday night). You hit a go ahead 2 run homer in the 8th inning, you're supposed to win.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Team Offensive Stats
3rd in Runs
6th in Hits
2nd in RBI
3rd in OBP

In the six losses, the Astros have given up:
7 runs
5 runs
4 runs
5 runs
14 runs
5 runs

So you're telling me pitching is a problem?

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Yeah, this is looking like a wasted season. I just don't see them getting over losing Verlander and Osuna.

Speaking of Verlander, his "two weeks" are about up.

Where you at Alvarez?

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Worry not! Dusty will get the pitching staff and arms right.