General BS

General BS, no politics
Vincent Vega

General BS

Post by Vincent Vega »

It's Friday and I don't feel like working.

Random thoughts.

TV/Movies

Covid sucks for so many reasons. Since we can't do much of anything having no new movies and very few new TV series to watch blows. I now have to wait until next July to see Maverick.

That said, I have discovered some series over the last couple months worth checking out. The Last Kingdom (Netflix) is really good. Similar to Vikings if you are familiar with it, but I enjoyed TLK more.

We just started watching Kingdom (different series) on Netflix. It's about a family of MMA fighters. It originally aired 2014-17. I never heard of it until last week. Much better than I expected. Just finished the first season last night.

Watch Yellowstone if you aren't already. Over the top, a bit of a evening soap opera, but still damn good. Worth watching just for the Rip Wheeler character alone.

Another solid Netflix series call The Strangers is worth checking out. It's a "mystery thriller" British series.

I've seen Altered Carbon on Netflix for a while and finally gave season 1 a go after a buddy insisted I watch it. Kind of blew my mind. Very different. Blade Runnerish.

If you haven't already, check out the The Old Guard on Netflix. It's a movie, not a series. Stars Charlize Theron. Pretty cool concept, good action, still has some shit in it it doesn't need to, but hey, the options are limited.

Sports

So the Big 12 finally grew some balls. Hallelujah. It's not out of the question to say the conference saved college football this fall. At least for now. I know this shit could turn in a second, but for now we are expected to have a 2020 season.

No Texas/LSU still sucks.

No Ohio State is fantastically hilarious. F those guys.

It's going to be interesting to see how many players from the Big 10 and Pac 12 enter the portal and attempt transfers to ACC, SEC & Big 12 schools for the fall. Time is running out.

I hear the Longhorns may land a huge commit soon. Possibly today?

Yordan Alvarez has been activated and will join the team today. About fucking time.

I haven't watched a second of the NBA. Or NHL.

I've watched more golf in the last couple months than in my entire life combined. And I've enjoyed the shit out of it.

Speaking of golf. I didn't grow up playing. Played a few times in college with buddies that played some and sporadically through the years. I always sucked because I just never played enough to get the hang of it. Late last year I decided I was going to play as much as I could. I got some decent irons and a decent putter for Christmas. From November until Corona hit I played probably 15 times. I broke 100 in February for the first time. Like I said, I was shitty. Shot a 92. I was really starting to figure some things out and then the virus hit. Have I mentioned how much Conora sucks? The course closest to my area closed for much of the last several months, but they are opening back up this weekend. I've got to find a way out there or I may break some shit.

Booze

I don't really have much to add here other than I've upped my intake over the last few months. Deep Eddy Lemon Vodka with a splash of soda is pretty much my go to during these miserably hot days. It's like drinking lemonade with a kick. Haven't been drinking much beer of late. Very unVega like.

Weather

Speaking of miserable hot days.........WTF? I know, it's summer in Texas, but holy fuck it has been hot. Bring on October.

Politics

Just kidding. Not going there.

Music

Cardi B has a new song called WAP. What does WAP stand for you ask? Wet Ass Pussy. Yep. 2020 gonna 2020.

I'm gonna go pretend to work for a while.

GlassJoe

Re: General BS

Post by GlassJoe »

there's so much to like in that post, I need time to compose my thoughts. oh, and I'm out the door in about 20 minutes for 3 nights in corpus with the fam. bringing plenty of booze.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Excited to see Maverick. Little pissed Hollywood took off the Taiwanese flag off his jacket but I get it. China is the 2nd biggest box office market.

Really want to watch Yellowstone. I might get the Peacock streaming service just for it. Hardest thing for me is to make time to watch all the stuff I want to. I just finished season one of Jack Ryan. I was entertained.

tOSU *nelson

Golf - I've been playing off and on for 20 years. I can probably count all the times I shot under 90 on both hands. It's a head game. I'm finally going to buy new clubs this year. I've been playing on the same ones since I started. It's fun. I got Bubbette playing with me now too.

Booze - lime Topo Chico, tequila, fresh lime, ice. That's my new jam.

WAP - better than dry.

Master of My Domain

Post by Master of My Domain »

Shows I watched over quarantine that I either really liked or at least didn't suck:
Ozark, After Life, Dark, Upload, House of Cards, The Boys, Watchmen, Black Summer

Movies I've either streamed, watched on demand or just caught on a movie channel and I liked:
The Invisible Man, You Should Have Left, Snowpiercer, Knives Out, Ready or Not, Call of the Wild, Brightburn, Eurovision, Midsommar, Jay and Silent Bob: The Reboot
Please. Yeah, you're really going to miss that trip to Death Valley. Best thing that happened to Texas.

Yordan? Awesome. Can he pitch?
Speaking of golf. I didn't grow up playing. Played a few times in college with buddies that played some and sporadically through the years. I always sucked because I just never played enough to get the hang of it. Late last year I decided I was going to play as much as I could. I got some decent irons and a decent putter for Christmas. From November until Corona hit I played probably 15 times. I broke 100 in February for the first time. Like I said, I was shitty. Shot a 92. I was really starting to figure some things out and then the virus hit. Have I mentioned how much Conora sucks? The course closest to my area closed for much of the last several months, but they are opening back up this weekend. I've got to find a way out there or I may break some shit.
My son is about to turn ten, and he likes golf. He normally doesn't like anything that doesn't involve a gaming controller in his hand, so I want to encourage this. Unfortunately, covid prevented me from getting him started in lessons and just getting out and playing with him on a regular basis this summer. I'll never be a good golfer, but I feel like I could be much less embarrassing if I just played semi-regularly.

Booze...I've actually been boozeless for one month today. I've been eating better, doing some cardio...just trying to give myself the best chance possible to beat covid if I was to get it. Based on my age, I should be fine, but I'm pretty fluffy and my liver works really hard. I can't do much to control whether or not I get it, but I'm trying to handle the stuff I do have some control over.

Weather...we were doing practices in the morning last week, and it was actually pretty pleasant. We started going at four in the afternoon this week and it has been f'ing brutal.

Politics...incredibly important election in a couple of months.

Music...I really miss live music.
Booze - lime Topo Chico, tequila, fresh lime, ice. That's my new jam.
Well played, sir.

Yellowstone is phenomenal, although I'm a little tired of the Wokeahontas character. Beth is awesome.

While riding the exercise bike in recent weeks, I started rewatching The Sopranos. Forgot just how ridiculously good this show was, at least until the last season or two.
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

T-Bubs wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:20 pm

WAP - better than dry.
I about spit my drink out. :lol:

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Master of My Domain wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 pm
Please. Yeah, you're really going to miss that trip to Death Valley. Best thing that happened to Texas.
You cray cray. Of course I wanted to see that game. Fanless Death Valley? F yeah! And while I know LSU is loaded with talent they lost a TON. Heisman QB, the OC that changed their identity, and a ton of starters on both sides of the ball. Texas was a 3rd and 17 away from likely beating them last year with all that talent.

Ozark is awesome. Upload was unexpectedly good. Enjoyed the hell out of The Boys although I watched it when it first dropped. Season 2 drops 9/4.

I've heard The Invisible Man is good. I'll check it out. Heard You Should have Left sucks. Kevin Bacon right? Eurovision was good for some laughs. Ridiculous, but again, options are limited.

Afternoon practices? Damn.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Good stuff here boys, this is why we brought the Fest back.

TV/Movies - Ozark and Yellowstone are bomb.com Yellowstone gets on my nerves at times but still a great damn show. We just started watching the Last Kingdom last night on Netflix, it's a Viking show from what I can tell...I was a little sauced when we watched the pilot. Wife said she really enjoyed it though so I'm gonna have to re-watch the first episode. I've been watching some of my childhood memories lately. Karate Kid, Gleaming the Cube, Monster Squad, original Top Gun, Flight of the Navigator. Oh and Shooter...not from childhood but fuck I love that movie. Anytime it's on I'll finish it.

Games - Dude, Dman and I got back onto Red Dead Redemption 2 last night. If you own an Xbox/Ps4 and you haven't played this game, you're missing out. It's incredible, absolutely one of the greatest games I've every played. The online stuff is fun as hell too, we've had some good laughs but man that main storyline is amazing.

Golf - I've actually played more golf on a regular basis since Rona reared it's ugly head. So much so that I'm down to a single digit handicap...which sucks when I'm playing for monies now *blackeye . It's the only thing that's kept me sane though.

Speaking of Rona - at my wifes' grandmother's funeral last week someone brought that shit in apparently. My wife, her mom, her aunt/uncle, her other aunt/uncle, cousin/wife, other cousin/wife, and other cousin/husband all f'ing tested positive. F'ing 12 people from one event. So the past 10 days have pretty much sucked, I didn't get tested but I know I had it. Feels like the flu and sucks, but nothing terrible. Everyone seems to be on the right side of it now and are all getting better. #fingerscrossed But I'm ready to GTFO of my house, I went driving around in my truck for like an hour today, that was the first time I drove since last Sunday.

I hate Cardi B. She represents so much that is wrong with the world.

Master of My Domain

Post by Master of My Domain »

Glad everyone is recovering, blade...did you lose taste/smell?
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

Blade

Post by Blade »

Master of My Domain wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:02 pm
Glad everyone is recovering, blade...did you lose taste/smell?
Not totally but definitely lost some of my taste, it was/is a very strange feeling. The wife lost hers completely.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

Oh damn Blade, sorry to hear that. Glad everyone seems to be recovering.

We’ve also watched a bunch of older movies in recent months. Some of my favorites that Mia never saw or didn’t remember well. Top Gun, Lethal Weapon, The Firm, 48 Hours, Risky Business, and Beverly Hills Cop to name a few.

Welcome back Yordan. First at bat goes yard.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was everything you said. Incredible game.
Last edited by Vincent Vega on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Hope your family makes a speed recovery, Blade.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Also wanted to add Meateater. I've been watching it for a while but Netflix picked up a bunch of his old episodes and me and mini blade watch them on repeat. I love that my 7 year old daughter enjoys watching a hunting show, but it goes to show the production value. It's really, really good stuff, check it out if you haven't watched it before. I just watched another documentary that Rinella put out called Stars in the Sky on Netflix. Loved it as well, it goes into the arguments for and against hunting and I think he does a great job of laying out all of the points. Good stuff to watch, especially for young hunters. In general, Steve Rinella is a badass and puts out some of the best shit out there.

One of the Meateater episodes had a guest hunter/chef named Eduardo Garcia. There was something about him that I really liked, he just put off a very cool vibe. Dude was a professional chef that worked on a private yacht for a decade and traveled the world learning to cook all of the world's ingredients, and he's got a badass hook for a hand. I never knew the story behind losing the hand, then I heard that he has his own documentary called Charged: The Eduardo Garcia story. It is fucking incredible, I can't recommend it enough. it It's very raw, gruesome at times, and emotional, but it's fucking great. It's like 3 bucks on Amazon but it is worth every penny.