Replacement for Sports Radio

Eventually the Rona will be on the run and we'll have sports again, right!?
DrillinAg

Replacement for Sports Radio

Post by DrillinAg »

I used to listen to sports radio religiously and then moved to the Sirius platform for my sports news. I will admit I don’t listen near as much as I used to because I work on the opposite side of the world (INDONESIA). Now mostly get my general sports news and takes via online sources.

Just curious what everyone else’s go to is other than team specific sites (IT, TexAgs, etc). I listen to a lot of barstool sports podcasts but although entertaining they don’t seem to be very accurate with there sports knowledge most of the time. If you follow their betting podcasts you may be lucky to break even. I like clay Travis but I feel like he is just trying to be the opposite of ESPN, which ever SJW view they take he just calls them out on it.

Where does the fest get the goods?

GlassJoe

Re: Replacement for Sports Radio

Post by GlassJoe »

I listen to fantasy sports on sirius/xm. yes,its of course fantasy related, but gets me all the info I need for gambling, daily fantasy on the professional side of things.

I actually really enjoy Get Up on Espn, 7am CST. Watch it every morning sitting at my desk. they replay those on the espn app, I think.

I've given up on Houston sports talk. Just don't ever listen any more. I don't care, AT ALL, about the Texans or Rockets. And, I get my astros info from their game broadcasts (love the Blummer) and regular MLB/ESPN/Yahoo sites.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

I can't get into Get Up. I've soured on Greenie. I don't hate the guy but I find him too preachy. Mostly because of how he treated Golic on the way out of Mike and Mike. Then he didn't defend Michelle Beadle when she said that NFL owners don't care about players. He had been pretty vocal about CTE on Mike and Mike but as soon as he gets his own TV show, he clams up tighter than a virgin.

I love Scott Van Pelt's SportsCenter in DC. His Bad Beats segment might be the best 15 minutes on TV.

I like Ryen Russillo's podcast. Trey Wingo's podcast is really good too.

If you want Denver sports radio (and I know you don't), 104.3 the Fan is great. Their morning show with Mark "Stink" Schlereth and Mike Evans (not that Mike Evans) and their afternoon show The Drive with D-Mac and Tyler Polumbus are both great.

hard of smelling

Post by hard of smelling »

You can listen to my brother on the morning drive if you want your Longhorn slanted takes (104.9 The Horn).

I listen to The Ticket in Dallas quite a bit. Cowboy heavy obviously, but the on-air personalities are great and it's entertaining radio.
It's not a lie if you believe it.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

The Ticket has been good for as long as I can remember and I'm not even from Dallas. I barely spend any time there.

Vincent Vega

Post by Vincent Vega »

hard of smelling wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:23 pm
You can listen to my brother on the morning drive if you want your Longhorn slanted takes (104.9 The Horn).
That's about the only sport talk radio I still listen to anymore, but that has a lot to do with familiarity than anything else. I've been listening to Bucky and Erin from the beginning.

I've gotten more into podcasts since the pandemic broke out. If you're a movie buff check out The Rewatchables on Spotify or at the Ringer website under podcasts. Each week they discuss a movie they deem "rewatchable". A few off the top of my head they have discussed are Heat, The Godfather, Jaws, Major League, Dazed & Confused, and The Firm. There are probably more than 100 available. They have a number of categories and they are generally good for some laughs too. The Ringer has a ton of podcasts, sports included. I also listen to The Big Picture and The Watch. Bill Simmons created The Ringer and was one of the dudes that created 30 for 30 on ESPN. He usually hosts The Rewatchables.

Bunk Moreland

Post by Bunk Moreland »

I've gotten sucked into the Joe Rogan vortex, it's not about sports at all unless you are into MMA and billiards, but more times than not it's a great long form conversation.

Master of My Domain

Post by Master of My Domain »

I don't watch anything from the Wokecenter network. When I want to watch political news, I watch the news. I watch sports...to get away from the news. ESPN, however, just can't help itself and feels like it needs to preach it's woke politics at every possible opportunity. I don't need to hear Keyshawn Johnson tell me about reforming the police.

I'm done.

And I'm not specifically talking about just ESPN. If I'm curious about football, I turn in to NFL Network. If I'm curious about baseball, I tune to MLB Network. If they decide to get preachy (and occasionally they do), I turn it off. ESPN is the worst, but they're not alone.

I do listen to local sports talk in the morning just because I like Sean Pendergast a lot, but they pretty much talk about the Texans all the time. And, quite frankly, the Texans don't deserve that much attention.

DrillinAg, I do agree with you that although I like Clay Travis a lot, I'm not sure that he is genuine. I think he is a smart businessman who has found an angle (anti-wokeness) and is hammering it for every dollar that he can earn. I haven't listened to Barstool, just because it seems too smug and East Coast-centered, but I could be wrong.
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton