Schlossnagle

Eventually the Rona will be on the run and we'll have sports again, right!?
Master of My Domain

Schlossnagle

Post by Master of My Domain »

I know that at one point, this board was inhabited by many (a) college baseball fans, (b) Big 12 fans and (c) TCU alumni. I really don't follow the Big 12 much and I hardly pay attention to college baseball at all, so I ask an honest question:

How big of a hire is this?
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

Velcro Serpent

Re: Schlossnagle

Post by Velcro Serpent »

nobody seems to care about anything around here anymore, but i still follow college baseball, although not the guru i used to be. ;-)

this seems like a huge hire. Kendall Rogers with D1 has said he's the man from the get go. Schloss apparently was in the mix for the MSU job a few years ago but backed out at the last minute. He's been eyeing the SEC in the past supposedly.

i think it all depends on who he brings in as his assistants since they seem to be what really matters. Saarloos seems to be in position for the TCU head job, if not a head job elsewhere. don't know shit else about their assistants.

When Kevin O'Sullivan moves over to LSU and Vitello stays at Tennessee, the SEC is going to be tough for the foreseeable future, especially in the west with A&M, Arky, LSU, Ole Miss, MSU and Alabama (yes, they made a regional this year and are a decent team).

in other relevant news that nobody cares about...Jose Cruz Jr was named the Rice head coach just earlier.

Master of My Domain

Post by Master of My Domain »

Thanks for the insight, Velcro.

I know little about college baseball, but I have to believe you're right when you say that filling out his staff with quality assistants who can develop talent is probably more critical than anything else. Texags made it sound as if they will give him the money to get the staff he wants, so we'll see. I haven't followed Aggie baseball much since I left college...hard to get too excited about the product the Ags were rolling out. I fully admit that I'm a 2%er for all things except football.
“May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.” - Jack Burton

Velcro Serpent

Post by Velcro Serpent »

Ags got LSU top assistant and recruiting coordinator Nolan Cain. That’s a pretty big get.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

Velcro Serpent

Post by Velcro Serpent »

Nate Yeskie, who is (was) Arizona's pitching coach is joining the Aggie staff. Monster hire for Schloss. Two pretty damn good hires.

GlassJoe

Post by GlassJoe »

Ags should always have a good baseball program. Always. Same as UT. We are in the absolute heart of premium baseball prep/prospect territory.

hard of smelling

Post by hard of smelling »

Time to remind Aggie:

# CWS wins in Aggie history = 2
# CWS wins this year for UT = 2

That said, damn good hire. SEC is stacked.
It's not a lie if you believe it.

DrillinAg

Post by DrillinAg »

I have heard through the grapevine that there is already money earmarked for Blue Bell Park upgrades to brink the baseball field up to standards of other SEC stadiums. More about the outfield seating area.

I ran into coach Schloss while having a few beers with the Mrs. while in College station a few weeks ago. He was actually interviewing our new hitting coach Earley at the table behind us. We talked for about 20 minutes and he is all baseball all of the time. Interesting one that the pitching coach didn't follow his coach to LSU and came to Aggieland instead.

As GJ said, there is no reason we shouldn't have top notch teams here in TX with all of the talent that is here. I wish there was a way they could revamp the drafting system where maybe the MLB teams can just hold the rights to high school kids for X number of years and let the kids go play in college.

T-Bubs

Post by T-Bubs »

I thought Olsen was already up to snuff with the other SEC stadiums. Granted, I have only been to two college ballparks.

DrillinAg

Post by DrillinAg »

T-Bubs wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:56 pm
I thought Olsen was already up to snuff with the other SEC stadiums. Granted, I have only been to two college ballparks.
From what I have heard it is more about the outfield development. Look at the MS schools and what they have done with outfield areas. Looking like Suites and party areas also getting the attendance up to around 12-13k.